World Diabetes Day is celebrated every year on November 14 with an awareness campaign led by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) and its member associations. It engages millions of people worldwide in diabetes advocacy and awareness.
- Diabetes affects nearly 24 million Americans (7.8 percent of the population).
- In the U.S., a new case of diabetes is diagnosed every 30 seconds; more than 1.6 million people are diagnosed each year.
- Forty-one children are diagnosed with type 1 diabetes each and every day.
- More than $174 billion is spent annually on healthcare costs related to diabetes in the United States.
- Diabetes kills one American every three minutes.